Apply for a Council Tax Reduction
Who can apply
If you're in a low income household and need help paying your Council Tax, you could get a Council Tax Reduction.
You can reduce your Council Tax bill if your savings are less than:
- £6,000 if you're working age
- £16,000 if you're state pensionable age
We'll also compare your weekly income with your applicable amount, which is the amount the Government says you need to live on.
If your income is the same or less than your applicable amount, you get the highest reduction you can on your Council Tax.
Changes this financial year
We review Council Tax Reduction every year. This could affect the reduction you get.
- you'll need to pay 25p more toward your Council Tax bill for every £1 of weekly income you earn over your applicable amount
- you'll have to pay the full amount of Council Tax if your Council Tax Reduction is less than £5 per week
- we'll discount a maximum of 80% of Council Tax for a band D property, no matter which band your property is in
You can apply for a Discretionary Payment if you're struggling to pay the rest of your Council Tax bill.
You can find detailed information about how the scheme works by downloading our: