This is new - your feedback will help us improve it.

Apply for a Council Tax Reduction

Who can apply

If you're in a low income household and need help paying your Council Tax, you could get a Council Tax Reduction. This acts as a discount to your Council Tax bill.

You can reduce your Council Tax if your savings are less than:

We will also compare your weekly income with your applicable amount, which is the amount the Government says you need to live on.

If your income is the same or less than your applicable amount, you get the highest reduction you can on your Council Tax.

Changes this financial year

We review Council Tax Reduction every year. This could affect the reduction you get.

This year:

  • you'll need to pay 25p more toward your Council Tax bill for every £1 of weekly income you earn over your applicable amount
  • you'll have to pay the full amount of Council Tax if your Council Tax Reduction is less than £5 per week
  • we'll discount a maximum of 80% of Council Tax for a band D property, no matter which band your property is in

If you're struggling to pay the rest of your Council Tax bill, a Discretionary Payment could help you.

More information

You can find detailed information about how the scheme works by downloading our:

Coucil Tax Reduction Scheme for people of working age for consultation (PDF 115KB)

Council Tax Reduction Scheme for people who are not pensioners (PDF 1.98MB)

Council Tax Reduction Scheme for pensioners (PDF 1.59MB)

Discretionary Council Tax Scheme (PDF 146KB)