This is new - your feedback will help us improve it.

Discretionary payments

Discretionary payments help residents who are struggling to pay their rent or council tax, need help to pay rent in advance or help with removal costs.

Discretionary payments

Discretionary funds are usually for people who need help the most, such as families and people who have long-standing health or mobility problems.

We only have a limited amount of money available to spend on discretionary payments and will not be able to help everyone who asks for our help.

Who can apply

To apply for help to pay your rent and Council Tax or help with removal costs, you must have a current claim for Housing Benefit, Universal Credit or Council Tax Reduction.

For help with rent in advance, you need to have found the accommodation you are moving to and reached an agreement with the prospective landlord or agent. We will check that the tenancy you wish to take is affordable for you and is within your local housing allowance band.

Documents you will need to submit

  • bank statements showing the last 30 days transactions (and statements from your partner if applicable) 
  • information about your income, savings and outgoings
  • a copy of your award letter from the Department for Work & Pensions if you receive Universal Credit
  • details and evidence of any medical conditions for you or anyone in your household

We aim to use the fund to help people move into long-term affordable accommodation, or to support people move from long-term benefit dependency into paid employment.

We may not be able to help you on a continuing basis, but we will look at each case and make decisions based on your individual circumstances.

If your application is successful we would probably expect you to pay a proportion of the shortfall yourself. The exact amount will depend on the size of your household and your individual circumstances.