This is new - your feedback will help us improve it.

Housing Benefit information

Universal Credit is being introduced in Brighton & Hove for people of working age making a new claim for benefits. If you already claim benefits and your circumstances have changed, you may also have to apply for Universal Credit.

Changes to Housing Benefit

If you live in an area where Universal Credit has been introduced and you are of working age, you will need to claim help with your housing costs (rent) through Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit. There are some exceptions, so please check to see if you are affected.

If you’re between 18 and 21, you’ll only get the Universal Credit housing amount if certain exceptions apply.

Universal Credit in your area

Universal Credit is being introduced in the Brighton & Hove area by postcode on the dates below.

Postcode Date
BN3 4 October 2017
BN2 29 November 2017
BN1 and BN41 January 2018

Claims for Universal Credit can be made online on the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) website.

You will still have to apply for Council Tax Reduction through the council.

Who can apply for Housing Benefit

When Universal Credit is introduced in your area, you can only apply for Housing Benefit through the council if you are

  • over State Pension age
  • have three or more children
  • living in supported accommodation
  • already receiving Housing Benefit and you move within Brighton & Hove

Click the area you currently live in (or the address you intend to claim for) to determine whether you should apply for Universal Credit or Housing Benefit:

BN3 residents

BN2 residents

BN1 and BN41 residents