Accessibility issues on our website
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) version 2.1 AA standard.
Over the past year, we have resolved a number of accessibility issues following the accessibility audit on our website.
We're aware of the following content issues:
- images in our newsroom may not have alternative text
- many PDFs on our website may not be accessible to screen reader users
Many of our older PDFs and Word documents do not meet accessibility standards - for example, they may not be structured so they’re accessible to a screen reader. By end of March 2020, we plan to either fix PDFs essential to users accessing our services or replace them with accessible HTML pages.
The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services. For example, we do not plan to fix historic documents.
Any new PDFs or Word documents we publish on new.brighton-hove.gov.uk will meet accessibility standards.
Some of these issues can be fixed by our developers and we're working to resolve them as soon as possible. For other issues, we're working with Mendix (our forms supplier) to resolve issues with the system.
Apply for a parking permit in zone P form
On this form, you may experience issues with resizing the webpage, alternative text and unlabelled form fields.
This form may not meet the following WCAG 2.1 AA criteria:
- 1.4.4: Resize Text – Rendering issues present at 200% text only zoom
- 2.4.1: Bypass Blocks – Skip to Main content link is not present
- 2.4.4: Link Purpose (In Context) – Links do not have discernible text
- 1.1.1: Non-Text Content: Related links are not encapsulated in <nav> tags
- 1.1.1: Non-Text Content: BHCC logo missing alt text
- 1.1.1: Non-Text Content – Form fields not labelled
- 1.1.3: Info and Relationships – Page landmarks not identified
We expect to resolve these accessibility issues by 4 October 2019.
Other Mendix forms
You may experience accessibility issues with our other Mendix forms including:
- applying for a school place
- reporting a problem
- contact the council
These forms may not meet the following WCAG 2.1 AA criteria:
- 1.1.1: Non-Text Content – Button’s missing descriptive value or text label (resolution date: 31 March 2020)
- 1.1.3: Info and Relationships – Page landmarks not identified (resolution date: unknown at the moment)
- 1.3.1: Info and Relationships – Caption attribute incorrectly used within <table> (resolution date: unknown at the moment)
- 1.3.5: Identify Input Purpose: Autocomplete attribute not present (resolution date: 31 March 2020)
- 1.4.11: Low Non-text Contrast (resolution date: 30 November 2019)
- 2.1.1: Keyboard/ 2.1.2 No Keyboard Trap: User unable to navigate full page with keyboard (resolution date: unknown at the moment)
- 2.2.1: Timing Adjustable – No mechanism present to turn-off or extend page time-out (resolution date: unknown at the moment)
- 2.4.7: Focus Visible - Focus does not remain consistently visible (resolution date: unknown at the moment)
- 3.2.2: On Input – Tab focus returns to top of page when radio button is selected (resolution date: unknown at the moment)
- 4.1.3: Loading overlays should be labelled with aria-live (resolution date: 31 March 2020)
If you're unsure if the form you're using is a Mendix form, the link will start with:
The other forms system we use is called Achieve by Firmstep. If you're unsure if the form you're using is an Achieve form, the link will start with selfservice.brighton-hove.gov.uk
Our Achieve forms were published before 23 September 2018, and therefore the deadline to meet this accessibility legislation is 23 September 2020. For the past year, we decided to focus our accessibility efforts on the new website and Mendix forms to make sure the majority of our new services meet the legislation.
Over the following year, we will do a detailed audit of our Achieve forms and plan to resolve any identified accessibility issues by 23 September 2020 at the latest.