MyAccount privacy notice
How we use your data for MyAccount, including who we share it with, how long it's held and where to get advice.
The council is the data controller for purposes of the Data Protection Act (2018) and The General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (GDPR) and is registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Brighton & Hove City Council are committed to protecting your personal information. As a data controller, under the Data Protection Act 2018, we have a responsibility to inform you as to why and how your personal information is being used.
How and why your data will be used
By creating a Brighton & Hove City Council MyAccount, you will be asked to provide your:
- date of birth
- contact phone numbers
- email address
- password for your new MyAccount
By creating a MyAccount, you will be able to:
- access multiple Brighton & Hove City Council services using a single login
- create a single instance of your personal information to be used by Brighton & Hove City Council to provide more efficient services to you by reducing transaction times and by providing a single point of contact to update the council with any change of your circumstances
We will use your MyAccount information to:
- determine that your application for a MyAccount is genuine and real. You may have to provide information that we can check with other sources to prove your identity
- help you with queries you may have about MyAccount (for example if you raise an issue in our support request system)
- develop and improve the services we offer
- protect both you and the MyAccount service from fraudulent or malicious use
Who we will share your data with
- Your data may be shared with all relevant Brighton & Hove City Council services at the point that you request a transaction or for the purposes of preventing fraud.
- We operate shared services with Surrey County Council and East Sussex County Council. Your data may be processed by one of these partners if the services you access through your MyAccount are provided by one of them.
How long we will hold your data (retention)
Data processed as a result of any My Account transactions will be retained in alignment with relevant statutory periods. Your MyAccount login detaisl will be deleted once you delete your MyAccount.
How to get advice or make a complaint
If you want to discuss any of your data protection rights, you can:
- contact the Data Protection Officer online
- phone 01273 295 959
- send an email to mailto:email@example.com
Information Commissioners Office (ICO)
The ICO is the national regulator with responsibility for ensuring compliance with data protection.
We would prefer you to contact us first with any concerns, but you can also contact the Information Commissioner to make a complaint:
- on their website
- by phone: 0303 123 1113
- by post: Wycliffe House, Water Ln, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF
Changes to this privacy notice
This privacy notice will be subject to review when there is a change.