Skip to main content

Get help with moving costs, rent or Council Tax you owe

If you're struggling to pay rent or Council Tax, or need to pay home removal costs or rent in advance, our discretionary payments could help

About discretionary payments

If you claim Housing Benefit, Universal Credit or Council Tax Reduction, you can apply for discretionary payments to help pay your rent, Council Tax or home removal costs.

These payments are for the most vulnerable people, such as low income families or those with health problems. They are for helping you move into affordable housing and paid employment.

For help with rent in advance, you need to find the housing you will move into and make an agreement with the landlord or agent. We'll check the tenancy is affordable for you, based on your circumstances.

Unfortunately we can't help everyone who applies as we have a limited amount of money to spend.

Applying for a discretionary payment

You can apply for the payment you need online by using the buttons at the top of this page.

The supporting documents you need to provide with your application depend on the kind of payment you're applying for.

If your application is successful, we'll decide how and when you'll be paid based on your circumstances.

Please be aware that you may need to pay part of any shortfall yourself.

If you'd prefer not to fill out the form online, you can download and print a paper copy (PDF 156KB).

Contact us

For more information or to ask a question about your application, you can contact our Discretionary Help and Advice team: