Apply for a copy of a death certificate
Find out how to apply for a copy of a death certificate, how much it costs and how to obtain certificates from outside of Brighton & Hove.
Changes to Registration Services
We are taking action to maintain services and prioritise key areas during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
However in line with government advice on social distancing, we are having to make some changes to our services.
If you (or anyone in your household) is showing any symptoms including a fever and/or a continuous cough, please do not visit the Register Office.
- This service is suspended locally except for urgent requests using the Priority Certificate Service costing £35. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
Anyone can apply for a copy of a death certificate for a death in Brighton & Hove as long as you know some of the following information about the person whose certificate you are applying for:
- date of death
- place of death
- full name and any names previously known by
- date of birth
- last known address
- if married or in a civil partnership, name of husband, wife or civil partner
Our standard service costs £11. Certificates will be issued after 15 working days by second class post
We also offer a 24 hour priority service if you require a certificate urgently. This costs £35.
Priority applications must be made by midday for next day delivery.
The easiest way to apply is using our online death certificate application form.
You will need to pay for the certificate at the time of application.
Apply by phone
You can apply for a marriage or civil partnership certificate by phoning the register office:
You will need:
- details of the person whose marriage or civil partnership certificate you are applying for (as listed above)
- a daytime contact phone number where you can easily be reached, in case we need to contact you
- to pay for the certificate at the time of application
Please phone 01273 292 016 during opening hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 9:30am to 12 noon
Wednesday: 10am to 12 noon
Apply in person
You can apply for a copy of a death certificate by visiting Brighton Town Hall in person during our search room opening times, these are:
- 9:30 am to 12:00 pm Monday to Friday (except Wednesday)
- 10:00 am to 12:00 pm Wednesday
Obtain certificates from elsewhere
We only have access and hold records of births, marriages, civil partnerships and deaths which occurred in Brighton & Hove, so if you wish to apply for a certificate from anywhere else in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland you may find the following links useful: