About school catchment areas

School catchment area is the geographical area around a secondary school.

The council decides the size of school catchment areas used for community schools run by the council, Brighton Aldridge Community Academy (BACA) and Portslade Aldridge Community Academy (PACA).

Church voluntary aided and free schools don't use catchment areas.

Why school catchment areas are important

Children who live in a school's catchment area have a better chance of getting a place at this school than children who live outside of the catchment area.

If more children apply for a school place than there are places available, children who live in the school's catchment area get offered a place first.

If your child regularly lives at more than one address, you need to decide which address is the child’s main address.

Our school admissions team can only use one address. If it’s not clear which address is the child’s main address, we'll make a decision about which address to use. 

The main home address is usually where your child is registered with a doctor. However, we may ask for other proofs of your child’s address.

Children who live on boats or traveller sites

If a child's main home address is on a boat or in a traveller site, the location of the marina or the traveller site will be used as the main home address.

Changes to catchment areas

There are no changes planned for secondary school catchment areas in Brighton and Hove.

More information

Download our school application guides for more information.