Apply for a school place
How to apply for a place at junior, infant, primary or a secondary school in Brighton & Hove.
Apply for a place
You can apply online for a school place if you:
- live in Brighton & Hove and your child needs to start school for the first time
- live in Brighton & Hove and your child needs to move up to junior or secondary school in September
- want your child to move to a Brighton & Hove school at any other time
If you want to apply for a place at a private school, please get in touch with the school to find out how you can apply.
School application deadlines
|Infant or primary (reception) or junior (year 3)||15 January 2020||September 2020|
|Secondary (year 7)||31 October 2019|
Other deadlines and important dates:
- deadlines if you're applying to start school during the year, or at any other time
- important dates for infant, junior and primary school applications
- important dates for secondary school applications
What happens if you apply late
If you apply late for a school place it is less likely that you will be offered a place at one of your preferred schools and you may have to wait to get an offer of a school place after the National Offer Day.
If there’s a good reason why the school application is late, we will consider it as on time if we receive it by 21 January for secondary school or 8 March for infant and primary school.
You must provide independent supporting evidence of the good reason, or your application will be treated as late.
When you’ll hear from us
If you apply online we'll email you on the national offer day to let you know which school place has been offered to your child.
If you apply by post, we will send a letter to you in the first class post on the same day.
|School||National Offer Day|
|Infant or primary (reception) or junior (year 3)||16 April 2020|
|Secondary (year 7)||2 March 2020|
Download our school application guides for more information about applying for school.