Service update: Wednesday 21 April 2020

Due to the current situation relating to the Covid-19 pandemic, the council is having to reduce or stop services.

We cannot currently accept cheque as a payment method. 

Parking Permit centre 

The Parking Customer Service team are not able to offer a counter service at present, the online service and emails are currently unaffected.

The parking customer service phone lines will now only be answered between 9am-1pm. 

We aim to continue to issue parking permits, however it may not be possible, as swiftly as we would like, as council staff are having to prioritise essential services.  Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience, we hope to return to usual service standards as soon as possible.

You can apply for a permit and renew a permit online. We aim to acknowledge your email within 2 working days.

For details of how we handle the information that you provide to us, please read our data processing and privacy notices.

NHS and social workers

We are providing free parking for NHS staff and social care workers during the coronavirus pandemic. This enables them to park in on street parking bays and council owned car parks without having to worry about cost or time restrictions.

These workers need to display either their Key Worker Letter or a copy of their work identification (with any sensitive information removed) in their windscreen or, when parking in barrier car parks, buzz the intercom and show their pass.

Key workers and carers

We have made a number of concessions to key workers and carers to support their important work on a temporary basis.  

Parking enforcement

Parking enforcement is operating a core hours service and is focussing on the more serious contraventions and incidents of obstructive or dangerous parking that could have a more significant impact on safety and traffic flow.

It is important to keep the city moving and ensure essential services and supplies can be accessed by people most in need of support.  We will continue to monitor the situation in line with government advice.

Carers permit

A carers permit can be applied for if a carer has to visit a resident or residents who need to be cared for by virtue of age, physical or mental infirmity, as well as women requiring antenatal or postnatal care.

Can I get a carers permit?

You can if you visit a resident or residents who need to be cared for by virtue of age, physical or mental infirmity, as well as women requiring antenatal or postnatal care.

If you work for an agency or are self employed then you cannot apply for a carers permit. You may be eligible for a Professional Carers Badge.

What evidence do I need to provide?

The doctor of the person you are caring for needs to sign a declaration on the application form confirming that the resident needs to be cared for. This declaration states:

''...the person named and living at the address in section E (name of person being cared for) is suffering from physical and/or mental infirmity or having ante and/or post natal treatment, and is assisted by a carer.''

What form do I need to complete?

Please complete a carers permit application form and return it to us in person or by post.

What is the cost of a carers permit?

Brighton & Hove City council process and administer these permits for £10. There may also be a charge from the doctor signing the declaration.

How do I use the carers permit?

The carers permit should be clearly displayed in the vehicle when you are parking at the residents property to care for them.

It is not valid after the expiry date.

Where can I park with a carers permit?

You can park in a permit bay, or shared use bay, in the zone indicated on the front of the permit but not a pay and display bay.

The permit does not allow you to park anywhere else.

I am changing my vehicle what do I do?

You must inform the council as soon as possible that you have changed your vehicle and complete the change of vehicle application form.

I need to renew my carers permit what do I do?

Once the permit expires you must apply again for another carers permit. This means that the carers application form needs to be completed and will require the doctor of the person being cared for to sign the declaration again even if this condition is ongoing or lifelong. 

I have received a penalty charge notice when using my carers permit what do I do?

You should check that you have used the permit in accordance with the conditions of use.

You should then decide whether to: