Parking Permit centre 

The Parking Permit centre at Hove Town Hall is closed.

You can apply for a permit and renew a permit online.

Please use the online service and emails as these are unaffected. We aim to acknowledge your email within 2 working days.

For details of how we handle the information that you provide to us, please read our privacy and data page and see our privacy notices

NHS and social workers

We are only providing free parking for NHS staff, Health or Volunteer Social Care Workers and NHS Volunteer Responders while carrying out their duties in line with the guidance in the link below. 

These parking concessions can only be used when on official duty.

They enable these workers to park in on street parking bays and council owned car parks without having to worry about cost or time restrictions while at work.

Please clearly display your letter on headed paper and a copy of your ID Badge with sensitive information retracted. Please note, we do not issue a pass to claim this concession.

Full details on how to use these concessions can be found in the BPA guidance and terms of use (PDF 122KB)


Professional carers badge

Professional carers badges are issued to people who provide essential care in the community, people such as midwives, doctors, care workers and social workers.

A professional carer's badge cannot be used to park outside your place of work (offices). There is no exception to this rule and you will be liable for a penalty charge notice  if the badge is used for this purpose or any other purpose that does not involve directly caring for a person.

Can I have a professional carer's badge?

A professional carer's badge can be issued to you if you show that you are regularly providing care, either medical or clinical, in Brighton & Hove away from your usual place of work.

Please note that Brighton and Hove City Council reserve the right to withdraw badges at any time without prior notice if the badge is used outside of the intended purpose. Using a badge not in accordance with the terms and conditions could also result in the badges not being renewed.

How do I apply for or renew a professional carers badge?

You need to complete a professional carers application form and return it to us in by post or via email.

What documents do I need to provide?

You will need to provide:

  • a letter from your line manager, on headed paper, confirming you care for someone or people in the community
  • a copy of your professional care ID. If you are visiting our offices in person please bring in your ID

What is the cost of a professional carer's badge and how can I pay?

A professional carer's badge costs £52 for one year. You can pay by cash, cheque and credit or debit card (including American Express).

Please write your name and address on the back of the cheque and make it payable to Brighton & Hove City Council.

Where can I park with a professional carer's badge?

You can park in a pay and display bay and a permit holder bay for up to two hours. If there are no spaces you can park on single or double yellow lines with no loading ban.

A professional carer's badge cannot be used in off street car parks. Payment of the relevant tariff is required. This also applies to both Preston Park and East Brighton park which are categorised as car parks.

I am changing my vehicle, what do I do?

You do not need to do anything as professional carer's badges are not assigned to a specific vehicle.

I no longer work as a professional carer what do I do?

You must return your badge to our parking office immediately.

I received a penalty charge notice when using a professional carer's badge what do I do?

You should check that you have used the professional carer's badge in accordance with the conditions of use.

You should then decide whether to: