Service update: Wednesday 8 April 2020

Blue Badge and Concessionary Travel team

Due to the current situation relating to the Covid-19 pandemic, the council is having to reduce or stop services.

We aim to continue to issue Blue Badges and bus passes, however this may not be possible to do as quickly as we would like, as council staff are having to prioritise essential services. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience, we hope to return to usual service standards as soon as possible.

If you apply by post there may be a delay in processing your application as we are reducing staff time in the office.

Please apply online when possible or email us a scanned copy of your application.

The customer service counter is closed. 

You can still:

All blue badges and bus passes that are due to expire in May and June will automatically be renewed and sent to customers. 

Eligibility for an older person's bus pass

The age you become eligible for a bus pass is linked to changes in the state pension age for women.

Find out your eligibility date on GOV.UK.

Companion passes

Brighton & Hove City Council does not issue companion passes. Companion passes issued by other authorities are not valid for travel within Brighton & Hove.

If you are not looking for a bus pass on disability or age grounds you will need to contact the bus company.

Frequently asked questions 

How do I renew my bus pass?

You will receive a new bus pass automatically if your pass has been issued on the basis of your age.

If you haven't received your renewed bus pass 3 weeks before your pass expires, please contact us on 01273 291 924

What should I do if I lose my bus pass?

We usually advise to wait a few days before ordering a replacement as lost bus passes are often returned to us by Brighton & Hove Bus Company

If you would like to order a replacement, the easiest way to do this is online.

You’ll be charged £10 for a replacement bus pass. This fee is non-refundable.

What should I do if my bus pass is damaged or not working?

You will need to order a replacement and return your damaged bus pass to us.

The easiest way to order a replacement is online.

There is no charge for this if the damaged pass is returned. If we do not receive the damaged pass back it will be classed as lost and a charge of £10 will be payable.

What should I do if my bus pass is stolen?

You can request a replacement bus pass if you have a crime reference number.

The easiest way to order a replacement is online.

You’ll be charged £10 for a replacement bus pass. This fee is non-refundable.

Where and when can I use the bus pass?


Week days

Weekends and bank holidays

Brighton & Hove

9am to 3.59am

All day

Rest of England

9.30am to 11pm

All day

Find information about Brighton & Hove night buses.

You can’t use your bus pass on trains, sightseeing buses, scheduled coach services, or outside of England.

How to apply for an older person's bus pass

The easiest way to apply for a bus pass is online.

You can also download an application form and post this to us with your supporting documentation. Applications may be brought to the customer service centre if you require documents to be photocopied.

Brighton & Hove City Council are unable to refund bus pass fares while applications for new or replacement passes are being processed.

Please note that the bus passes are not made at Hove Town Hall. We need to order them from a separate company who will then send it to you directly.

To apply you will need:

  • proof of your age
  • proof of your address
  • a photograph of you

If you are sending these documents by post please only send photocopies. Brighton & Hove City Council cannot be held responsible for documents that are lost in the post.

Proof of your age - This must show your current name and date of birth:

  • birth certificate and marriage certificate if applicable
  • driving licence – current or expired, photocard only
  • passport – current or expired
  • residence permit

Proof of your address in Brighton & Hove - This must be dated within the last 3 months

  • Council Tax bill, can be dated for the current year
  • utility bill
  • mortgage statement
  • signed tenancy agreement
  • solicitors letter of completion of sale
  • benefits/pension Letter
  • latest pay slip from current employer if name, date and address is shown
  • bank statement


You will need one recent passport style colour photograph with a plain light background. A photograph may be taken on a smartphone or camera and emailed to us. Headwear, unless for religious or medical purposes, and sunglasses are not to be worn.

If you are applying in person, we can take a photograph at the customer service centre.