Safety at work in corporate locations
In accordance with current government restrictions, council staff should work from home wherever possible during the coronavirus (Covid-19) crisis.
However, some essential roles will need to maintain a presence in council buildings. This is to ensure critical services are maintained so we can protect the most vulnerable and keep the city running.
Although we've increased our cleaning regimes and all staff are reminded to follow the latest guidance on staying safe at all times, we can't guarantee that Covid-19 will be completely eliminated from the workplace. It’s therefore vital that managers effectively weigh up this risk against the benefit of their staff completing essential tasks from the office rather than at home.
You must consider the following when making any decisions about working from the office:
- Staff who have been instructed to self-isolate should stay at home as per the advice and should not be asked to come into council buildings
- maintain effective social distancing rules at all times
- continue to monitor the latest guidance from Public Health England
- wherever possible, conduct meetings over the phone and using Skype
- always clean your workstation before and after use with the hygeine products available and always observe government health advice
- familiarise yourself with the updated fire and first aid procedures for staff working in the office
- use the new wellbeing zone to support your mental and physical health during the Covid-19 crisis.