Apply for the Transfer Incentive Scheme
If you're a council tenant, you can receive a cash payment for transferring from family-sized or adapted housing to a smaller property
What is Transfer Incentive?
Our Transfer Incentive Scheme allows council tenants to move to a smaller property if they:
- have one or more bedrooms that they no longer need
- have a property adapted for accessibility they no longer need
It means larger council properties can be made available for more suitable households like families or people with disabilities.
You can transfer to another council or housing association property or move to a property in the private sector.
By using the scheme to move you will:
- be prioritised for a move through Homemove
- be paid up to £2,500
- pay less rent and running costs at a smaller property
- help someone with a greater need for the housing you're currently living in
- get support during the transfer process from a specialist caseworker
Who can apply
You apply for the Transfer Incentive Scheme if you:
- are a Brighton & Hove City council tenant and have held a secure tenancy agreement for at least 12 months
- live in a house or flat with two or more bedrooms, not including Seniors Housing
- have no rent arrears, or have an agreement in place to pay back any debt you owe - you can log into your Housing Online account to check this
If you're a housing association tenant, you can apply for our Transfer Support Scheme instead.
How to apply
You can apply for a transfer incentive as part of the application to join the housing register.
If you're on the housing register already, you can log in to Homemove and choose the 'submit a change of circumstances' option.
If you need help with your application, call us on 01273 294 400 and choose option 1.
Read our Transfer Incentive Scheme Policy (PDF 151KB) for more information.