Use our free online resources
Library members can use our online resources for free, such as encyclopedias, biographies and academic research. You'll need your library card number to log in to most of these.
About our free online resources
To use most of our free online resources, you'll need to log in with your library card number.
You can use some resources in our libraries only, and some on other devices anywhere you like.
If you're not a member yet, you can find out how to join our libraries.
Daily newspapers and magazines
- PressReader - over 7000 UK and international newspapers and magazines
- European Newsstream - the most recent European newspaper content with archives from the 1990s to the current day, featuring more than 430 sources including newswires and journals, log in to European Newstream on the Proquest barcode page
Magazines, comics and graphic novels
- RBDigital - Over 150 UK magazines including Vogue, The Economist, BBC History and over 1500 comics and graphic novels including Disney, Marvel, IDW and Dark Horse
- Times Digital Archive - digital copies of the Times newspaper (London) from 1785 to 2014, on the Gale Databases website
- British Newspaper Archive - Local regional newspapers from Britain and Ireland dating from 1603, access in libraries only, you can make a free account and save your searches
Academic research and resources
- Access to Research - academic articles about various topics including art, history, politics and science, access in libraries only
- The New Oxford Shakespeare - all Shakespeare's works, in old English and modern text, including comparisons
- The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography - over 60,000 biographies of people who shaped UK and Irish history until 2012 - no living person is included
- Who's who - directory of influential people in the UK and worldwide, published yearly since 1849
Business and careers information
- COBRA - complete Online Business Reference Advisor, with information on starting businesses, regulations and market research
- Britannica Library (Junior) - trusted information on subjects for children aged 5 to 11 years
- Britannica Library Student - trusted information on subjects for children aged 12 to 18 years
- Which? - reports, buying guides and the magazine's research, access in libraries only - ask a member of staff to log you in
Dictionaries and encyclopedias
- Britannica Library (Adult) - trusted information for adults
- Oxford Dictionaries - definitions of words, phrases and expressions
- The Oxford English Dictionary - widely regarded as the authority on the English Language, offers word meanings, history and pronunciation of over 600,000 words
- Oxford Reference - trusted information covering 25 different subjects
- Theory Test Pro - online simulation of the UK's driving theory test with official test questions, hazard video clips and the Highway Code.
To access, register online with your name, email address and choose a password.
Family history and genealogy
- Findmypast-World - birth, marriage and death records, censuses, military records and local newspapers from Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, the US and Canada. Access in libraries only.
- Oxford Dictionary of Family Names in Britain and Ireland - browse the ultimate reference work on family names in the UK
- British Newspaper Archive search regional newspapers for your ancestors.
- Birth, death and marriage records - these records for the city are available at our register office
History, art and music
- John Johnson Collection - archive of printed items about Britain in the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries
- Oxford Art Online, Benezit Dictionary of Artists - Grove Art Online, Oxford art Reference
- Oxford Music Online - access The Encyclopedia of Popular Music, The Oxford Dictionary of Music, Grove Music and The Oxford Companion to Music
- Law & Rights - legal resource on the rights and responsibilities of living and working in Britain, access in libraries only
- GoCitizen - study resource for candidates preparing for the Life in the UK Test, or British citizen test
To access, register with your name, email address and choose a password.