Council roles confirmed at Annual General Meeting
The annual general meeting of the council took place on Wednesday 22 May.
The meeting was the first full council meeting since the local elections on 2 May.
New councillors and re-elected councillors met at Brighton Town Hall to agree key roles and to welcome the new Mayor.
Cllrr Nancy Platts, leader of the council, said: "I feel very privileged to be your new Council Leader. I welcome the opportunity to work together to develop policy and action plans on the housing and homelessness crisis, the climate crisis and the impact of austerity. And to re-affirm our commitment to Brighton & Hove’s status as a City of Sanctuary."
Positions agreed at the annual general meeting
Leader of the council
Leader of the council: Councillor Nancy Platts
Leader of the Labour Group (and leader of the council): Councillor Nancy Platts
Deputy Leaders of the Labour Group:
- Councillor Nick Childs
- Councillor Daniel Yates (Finance)
Convenor of the Green Group: Councillor Phélim Mac Cafferty
Deputy Convenors of the Green Group:
- Councillor Hannah Clare (External)
- Councillor Sue Shanks (Internal)
Leader of the Conservative Group: Councillor Steve Bell
Deputy Leaders of the Conservative Group:
- Councillor Mary Mears
- Councillor Lee Wares
The committee chairs were also agreed as follows:
- Children, Young People & Skills Committee: Cllr Nick Childs
- Environment, Transport & Sustainability Committee: Cllr Anne Pissaridou
- Housing & New Homes Committee: Cllr John Allcock
- Neighbourhoods, Inclusion, Communities & Equalities Committee: Cllr Kate Knight
- Policy, Resources & Growth Committee: Cllr Nancy Platts
- Tourism, Development & Culture Committee: Cllr Alan Robins
- Audits & Standards Committee: Cllr Leo Littman
- Licensing Committee: Cllr Jackie O’Quinn
- Planning Committee: Cllr Tracey Hill
- Health & Wellbeing Board: Cllr Clare Moonan
- Health Overview & Scrutiny Committee: Cllr Lizzie Deane