City agrees to create youth action plan
Brighton & Hove councillors have committed to working more closely with young people in the city to help them get more involved in in making decisions on services that impact on them.
The children, young people and skills committee on Monday 14 September agreed to create a joint action plan with young people that will:
- Publicise more widely the youth services that are on offer
- Work with the providers of these services to make them more inclusive
- Improve co-ordination of mental health support services for young people, including from current youth service providers
- Develop more opportunities for young people to meet youth workers and other young people – online or in person
- Recognise Brighton Youth Centre as a key part of youth provision in the city that the council needs to help save through refurbishment or rebuild.
- Strengthen youth services for disadvantaged groups including young people of colour, LGBTIQA young people and those with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)
- Review transport arrangements for youth people who find it difficult to access services.
The proposed action plan is in response to a review of youth services the council carried out earlier this year.
Committee chair Councillor Hannah Clare said: “I’d like to thank all the young people who have participated in this review. Their input has been invaluable.
“It’s vital that the council now shows that it has listened to their voices and is ready to respond in a way that put young people at the heart of making decisions around services and issues that affect them.
“Central to this will be a commitment from us to change how we commission youth services in a way that makes their voices heard more loudly and clearly than before.”
For further information about youth services in Brighton & Hove please visit http://www.wheretogofor.co.uk
A report to the children, young people and skills committee about the youth review - and the review itself - can be found on pages 285-352 at the following weblink: https://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/documents/g10122/Public%20reports%20pack%2014th-Sep-2020%2016.00%20Children%20Young%20People%20Skills%20Committee.pdf?T=10