Waste and recycling services - Coronavirus (Covid-19)
The impact of coronavirus on Cityclean:
Updated Friday 27 March
Environment contact centre
- The environment contact centre number 01273 292 929 is now closed.
- We will be encouraging people to email and use online forms, and these will be staffed and prioritised
- We will be communicating this information on the website and through media and social media
Refuse and recycling
- We're doing everything we can to run the service as normal as possible and ask for your patience and understanding during this very difficult time.
- Covid-19 means we have a very limited staff due to self-isolating and working from home
- We're successfully recruiting and training more drivers and operatives to help run the service.
- We're prioritising rubbish collections over recycling
- We've had to temporarily suspend kerbside recycling collections though we're hoping to resume these from next Monday 30 March. We will inform residents when the service resumes.
- We're still collecting communal rubbish and recycling, and kerbside rubbish.
- Those residents with uncollected kerbside recycling can take it to one of our many Recycling Points located throughout the city or wash, squash and store at home until normal services resume
- We've introduced 122 extra rubbish bins throughout the city, at 44 of our recycling points.
- The two Household Waste Recycling Sites (HWRS) are temporarily closed. This is to ensure public and staff safety, while also following government guidelines on social distancing
- It's hoped these sites will be temporarily closed and that they can be redesigned to ensure demand is managed and social distancing is supported.
- The emptying of all litter bins in the city centre, east and west (including dog poo bins) will be prioritised
- Collections are suspended. This will be for two weeks initially while we try to source agency drivers and operatives on short term contracts.
- This decision will be reviewed on a fortnightly basis, and you will be updated then.
- Customers will have their contract extended where appropriate to cover collections that are missed
- We will not be introducing a third garden waste round on 1 April, as was planned.
- All customers can still renew their subscription or sign up if invited to do so, time will be added to these subscriptions also to make up for lost time.
Environmental Enforcement Service
- This service is suspended to ensure we reduce social interactions
- By doing this we can make the most efficient use of staff resources in other areas of Cityclean
Deliveries of new bins and boxes
- We're temporarily suspending deliveries of new bins and boxes.
Graffiti and jet washing
- Only offensive graffiti and human waste will be removed
At present we are keeping our toilets open. However, as the contract is run by Healthmatic, this will be kept under review, but may mean reducing opening hours or sites that are open.
Community clean ups
- Beach cleans, Tidy Up Teams etc are being suspended
- Collections are suspended